The central region of the country reported the lowest prices of the basic basket, below 1,000 pesos.
The Federal Consumer Attorney’s Office ( Profeco ) announced which are the shopping centers with the highest and lowest average price of the basic basket. The agency will help with its verification task in the field to comply with the anti-inflationary agreement signed this Monday by the federal government in coordination with businessmen in the country, with the purpose of maintaining the price of the basic basket without increasing, said the head of this dependency, Ricardo Sheffield Padilla.
What are the stores with the lowest prices?
When presenting the weekly report Who’s Who in the Prices of Basic Necessities, Ricardo Sheffield pointed out that Fresko La Comer Lomas de la Selva, in Cuernavaca, in the central region (Mexico City, State of Mexico, Guanajuato, Hidalgo, Morelos, Puebla, Querétaro, and Tlaxcala), presented the cheapest price of the basket of the 24 most consumed basic products among Mexican families, of 959.50 pesos. Subsequently, there are the following:
- Sumesa Arboledas, Atizapán, State of Mexico – 974.20 pesos
- Mega Soriana Jardines del Moral, city of Leon – 981.95 pesos
- Sumesa Roma, Cuauhtémoc City Hall, Mexico City 994.80 pesos
- Bodega Aurrera Colonia Mercurio, Querétaro – 1,049.60 pesos
Stores with higher prices
With the highest prices in the central region were the following businesses:
- Walmart La Purisima, Metepec, State of Mexico – 1,121.90 pesos
- Chedraui El Tlacuache, city of León – 1,109.01 pesos
- Mega Soriana Lomas de la Selva, Cuernavaca – 1,086.90 pesos
- Central de Abasto Iztapalapa, Mexico City 1,081.69 pesos
- Soriana Hiper Carretas, city of Querétaro – 1,067.60 pesos
Throughout the country, the highest price was recorded in the northern region, which includes Baja California, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Nuevo León, Sonora, and Tamaulipas. The store with the highest price for the basic basket determined by Profeco was the HEB Colonia Tampico, city of the same name, Tamaulipas, where the selection of products cost 1,183.75 pesos .
Pricing details for all regions are available at https://www.gob.mx/profeco/prensa/coadyuvara-profeco-a- Hace
What are the products of the basic basket of Profeco?
The following are the products that the price monitoring shows in retail purchases made the previous weekend:
- Edible vegetable oil – 1 piece of 946 ml.
- Rice grain – 1 kg.
- Tuna in oil in flakes (max. 5% soy) – 2 cans of 140 g.
- Standard sugar – 1 kg.
- Beef steak – 1 kg.
- White onion – 1 kg.
- Jalapeno pepper – 1 kg.
- Pork chop – 1 kg.
- Black bean in grain – 900 grs.
- White egg – 1 pack of 18 pieces
- Toilet soap – 1 pc.
- Tomato salad – 1 kg.
- Pasteurized milk – 5 liters
- Lemon – 1 kg.
- Apple – 1 kg.
- Banana – 1 kg.
- Box white bread – 1 package of 680 grs.
- White potato – 1 kg.
- Toilet paper – 1 bag of 4 pieces
- Soup paste – 1 package 220 grs.
- Whole chicken – 1 kg.
- Canned sardine in tomato – 1 can of 425g.
- Supermarket corn tortilla – 4kg.
- Large carrot – 1 kg.